Sunday, April 27, 2014

an autumnic wedding

Last week we made the trip south to a picturesque Armidale for a special wedding - for my mother-in-law. It is not really my story to tell of their autumn romance.  But it was a happy occasion.  And I can tell the story of our trip to see it.

We got all dressed up in our bestest best best.  This had involved MANY discussions and preparation.  Gabby had even packed a plastic snaplock bag in her suitcase called 'Granny's wedding outfit'.  I learned how to do a fishbraid.


This is another bit of the family all dressed up.  Hanging our with cousins rocks.


I had optimistically packed a sleeveless silk dress to wear to the wedding.  I didn't really think through the coldness of a brick cathedral in Armidale in autumn.  I wore my back up outfit (because I definitely didn't pack light this trip as we were driving down - I had a couple of back up outfits).




And they got married.  To the lovely liturgy of the old Anglican wedding service.  The rhythms of the words that have been said for centuries.

We surprised them by singing a song that all of their children had practised - in a four part arrangement.  It was an achievement getting everyone together to practise without the wedding couple finding out.  We had to be quite sneaky....


And now we have a super big family - kids, spouses, more kids, cousins, in-laws, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunties, daughters, sons.  One granny.  And new relationships.


It was such a good week of meeting and playing with everyone.  Remembering new beginnings at Easter.



They had a BBQ tea reception and twin croquembouches.  I am wiping a little piece of drool off thinking about those delicious custard filled pastries drizzled with toffee.


 On Easter Sunday we went on an Easter picnic after church.  Kass (my exceptionally creative sister-in-law) had created this amazing pinata.


Ella made short work of it.  Easter eggs flew everywhere.  There was a flurry and a scramble from all the cousins to grab the eggs and avoid the patch of stinging nettles.



Where there is a creek boys will chuck rocks into it.  And judge each other's performance.  And be competitive about it.


Victorious easter egg hunt competitor.


Where there is water kids will get into it and fall in.  Even when it is a chilly Armidale afternoon.


It was such a good week with family.  Thankful.

5 comments:

  1. A beautiful post about a wonderful new beginning! And a fabulous photobomb by Mr SB, who I remember from uni, even though he wouldn't remember me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good catching up with SB (their family came all the way from Geneva for the event!) - who we are now bizzarely related to - Chris' mum married SBs wife's dad.....guess we have relatives in Switzerland now!

      Delete
  2. Isn't that an amazing photo of the two families together? So much life and joy captured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great photo. And I would like to take a tiny bit of credit as the bossy daughter-in-law that made it happen...

      Delete
  3. Isn't it Autumnal? Just saying.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!