Saturday, October 13, 2012

look out it's a black dot in the water!

No it's a whale!

Today the girls and I went whale watching off the Gold Coast.  I had very high expectations of seeing whales.  Very high.  I had staked a trip to the coast with children on it.  And the boat guaranteed whale sightings (or you get another trip).  I also did not have the telephoto lens of a professional photographer, so I have many shots of a black dot in the distance.

It was an awesome day to be out on the water - mild swell and 10 knot winds.  Some of our fellow passengers used the sick bags, but not us.

chirpy whale watcher

Then we saw the tell tale spray of a whale!


This was my photo of a breaching whale.  Just a bit too slow on the uptake with the camera so I got the splash.

But it was an impressive splash.


Yay - here's one breaching!


Happy whale watcher!


Whale tail.  Apparently all of the whale's tails are different like fingerprints, and that's how you can tell them apart.  Although it would be difficult to ink a tail, and keep it on file for when the whale was brought in for questioning.


Double whale backs.


Returning home.  Thanking God for such a great time to spend with the girls to see such amazing creatures in natural wild creation.
 

And having had a whale of a time.


1 comment:

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!