Friday, October 19, 2012

renovations

We have had to renovate the chicken pen.  With some netting.  Now the pen is completely enclosed.  It feels like a blanket fort when you stand inside it, and it looks like a Cirque de Soliel set up for possums.  I think I will need to check it each morning in case the netting catches more than leaves.


Lovely handy husband helped me put it up.  He hates compost and food scraps, and is not too fussed on chickens, but he pitched in and did the netting - he knows I love having chickens.


And why did we need chicken pen renovations?  Last week we came home to a scene of chicken massacre - feathers everywhere, headless chooks in our yard and the neighbours, and two chickens completely missing.  We think it was a fox.

I was pretty sad for a time.  I miss their clucking and self important fluffing.  I have too many scraps and I had to BUY eggs.

I am going to get some new chickens in a week or so.  Myself and my two elderly single lady neighbours miss them very much.

2 comments:

  1. That would have been horrid to come home to. Hope you have better luck with your new chickies and your possum cirque de soleil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a shock. We had the dog with us so she was not at home to patrol the perimeter and guard the girls. Hope the next ones work out!

      Delete

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!