Friday, January 17, 2014

dyeing a bean bag

I deliberately titled this blog post 'dyeing a bean bag' - because the search on google turned up next to nothing on the subject - so I was flying a bit blind here.

We are undertaking the Great Teenage Room Renovation over these summer holidays.  The new colours for the oldest daughter's room are white, black, aqua and yellow - as opposed to the colours we had painted it when she was a baby (yellow and bright purple - I thought that was quite dashing and daring for a baby room).

We wanted a chair to go in the corner of the room as a sort of relaxation space - but I kept searching and armchairs are, like, expensive.  So I mooched around at council pickup in a neighbouring suburb, vaguely hoping there was a black armchair in perfect condition out the front of someone's house.

No chair - but two perfectly good condition chair shaped bean bags!  They didn't even smell weird.  The only problem was they were mission seventies brown.  I scooped them up and squashed them into the back of the car all over the youngest daughter.  The bean bags muffled her complaints.

I was determined to dye them black to match the colour scheme.  After fierce consultation with the lady at Spotlight I bought some black iPoly dye - one packet for each bean bag cover.


I emptied the beans from the bean bag (NB - do this in the bath so those little pesky yet expensive beans don't fly off everywhere around the house), washed the bean bag covers and then got ready to dye.

Did I mention this is what I did on New Year's Eve?  I know how to PARTAY

Here is the original brown bean bag cover.


Fortunately my massive saucepan that I found at a garage sale a few years ago and picked up to use as a prop one day was the perfect size to fit one bean bag cover on the stovetop.  I am not sure how else you can boil something for one hour as instructed on the packet.

I boiled the dye, the little packet of dye conditioner, about a cup of salt, a saucepan full of water and the bean bag cover for an hour and a half - stirring it all the time (I sacrificed a wooden spoon to the blackness).  It felt quite medieval and smelt.......fairly medieval.


After rinsing it out heaps I dried my now BLACK bean bag cover outside in the fresh air.


 And now it sits in the re-decorated room like it belongs.


Cost - bean bag from council pick up - free!
Dye - about $12
Labour - fun times on the last night of 2013
Sense of smugness - high

Much cheaper than a black armchair.

2 comments:

  1. Love the end product!

    I checked too - you're right, there are hardly any Google results for "dying a bean bag." On the other hand, there are more for "dyeing a bean bag" - try that instead!

    Never mind. Lots of people mix up dying and dyeing. Our ballet school wants to get a piece of silk and have it dyed to look like the sea. They have asked all the parents if we have any "skills in dying." To which the only possible answer is "Not yet."

    I secretly think that it would be easier to buy blue silk straight up. Saves all the death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So embarassing - a SPELLING ERROR. I guess my over-riding concern was to 'drop the e when you add ing'. *shrinks back into corner and edits blog post*

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!