Tuesday, April 15, 2014

BBQ Stories - trying to set up an Easter Egg hunt...

This seems a good time of year to tell the story of when I tried to set up an Easter Egg hunt for my children.

Chris was away for the Easter long weekend (maybe at EasterFest...can't remember - important part was he was away).  I was looking after the girls at home - they would have been about five and seven years old.  I decided that for Easter morning I would make an amazing Easter Egg hunt.

(WARNING: STOP READING NOW IF YOU THINK THE EASTER BUNNY LEAVES THE EGGS AND THE TOOTH FAIRY LEAVES THE MONEY AND CLOTHES MAGICALLY WASH THEMSELVES AND MONEY GROWS ON TREES...)

I made clues to follow and left little puzzles for them.  I even drew a MAP.  I placed about 16 medium sized eggs out in the garden late on Saturday night.  I cunningly hid them in the treehouse, under the stairs, in the letterbox, under leaves - not too tricky, not too easy.  My girls could sniff out chocolate with their eyes closed (I like to think that is a genetic trait from me).

We woke up excitedly on Easter morning.  I wanted to do my AMAZING treasure egg finding eggstranvaganza before we went to church.  I gave the girls the map and instructions.  And let them run outside.  I was listening for the shouts of laughter and happy giggles.

What I heard was disappointed moans.

I went out to investigate, trying to subtly check if the eggs were still in the right place.

No eggs.

Anywhere.

I did find little scraps of foil wrapper hidden in the treehouse and scattered among the leaves.

All I can surmise is that somewhere in a treetop was a very ill chocolate filled possum.


And the girls had no eggs from us that Easter.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! That is the saddest Easter story I've heard, apart from the crucifixion. And that story had a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty sad. I learned my lesson about trying to over achieve as a mum. Or about chocolate and hungry possums. Or something like that.

      Delete

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!