Thursday, April 12, 2012

dressing the girls

My girls are in that awkward stage of fashion where there are very few appropriate choices for clothes in the shops.  There is the early hooker range in Target, the narcissistic princess range in Kmart, the eighties flashback range in Best and Less and the developing tramp range in Big W.  If I try to go a bit upmarket to Pumpkin Patch it costs more than my clothes.

I am not asking too much - shorts where you can't see the pockets from the bottom, t-shirts without skulls, and dresses with sleeves not bits of string.  I don't think I am a particularly prudish mum - but it is very difficult to find trendy age appropriate clothes for the modern 10 year old girl.

I loved dressing them when they were baby girls.  The clothes were so CUTE and I could just EAT THEM UP.  Figuratively.  It was a huge weakness of mine.  But they started asserting themselves at about 12 months with what they wanted to wear, and I haven't really reclaimed control of that one.  I can just guide and only have in their drawers what I think are good clothes for them.

We go to the op shop a bit and rely a lot on hand-me-downs from lovely friends at church. My girls look fine most of the time - but each season change (like now) we have a bit of a go at shopping in actual clothes shops.  And I get depressed and anxious and grumpy about it.

I guess it is just a matter of searching out what we need and drawing a line in the fashion sand.  I want them to feel beautiful and confident in who they are, and no mind too much about brands and styles.  Clothes are for wearing.  Appropriately.

Here are their party outfits chosen and accessorized by the girls.  I think I have genetically passed on my love of necklaces and head accessories.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!