Wednesday, November 7, 2012

a ballet bun and new chickens

Amongst other things in the last week I have prepared a child for a grade three ballet exam.  For me it is all about the bun.


If anyone needs to know how to get curly hair into a bun - I wet it, then gel it, then ponytail it, then bun it, then hairspray it, then talk to it firmly and tell it not to dare to come out.


Those legs!  They go on forever!  And they are hollow - she is always hungry.


She reports she thinks she did well in her exam.  Her bun did not fall out.  Are my priorities right here?

 Also in the last week we got five new chickens after the last ones were disposed of by a fox.  Brown ones.  We have nominally given them names (Tracey, Stacey, Lacey, Louise, and Bruce), but I can't tell them apart.  I am waiting for them to settle in and start laying.  I clipped their wings while singing to them 'Take these broken wings, and learn to fly again...'.


Clipping off the bottom layer of feathers on their wings with kitchen scissors. I don't think my future is in hairdressing.



Scooter the dog is very interested in our new arrivals.  She watches them closely.

It is the pointy end of the year where events cram up against each other like the finale part in a fugue.  Tonight we had mystery meat from the back of the freezer in the slow cooker for dinner, because I have no room in my brain to plan actual grocery shopping.  Everyone says 'shop online'.  But that would mean actually knowing what I wanted hours or days before I needed it.  I have poor motivation for shopping and cooking at the moment.

Besides, the mystery meat was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!