Sunday, November 18, 2012

BBQ stories

I have decided to start writing down some of the stories and memories I always seem to tell when people gather - at my house, at a party, at a BBQ. The stories that get triggered by someone else's story - 'I remember the time when.....'.

Here we go. I told this story to a friend this morning, and it often gets triggered when the conversation turns to snow, or wee, or long car trips when busting, or clueless travelers. I could tag all those words for this story.

Chris and I lived in Krygyzstan for about 7 months in 1999. We had heaps of exciting adventures on that trip. This is not one of them.

We were traveling back from a village in a minibus- Chris, me, and about 8 Krygyz guys. It was winter, and the fields were covered in snow. About halfway through the trip I started to need to go. Further down the road I thought my bladder was going to explode, so I asked if we could stop the bus for me to do a bush wee. Growing up in Australia I was pretty ok with the concept of weeing behind a bush, so I started trudging off across the fields to the solitary bush in the middle of the paddock. Growing up in Australia I was completely unfamiliar with snow, and how it works. I squatted down behind the bush, subzero winds whistling across my behind and started my business. Little realizing that the snow around bushes is only a thin crust supported by branches. As the warmness hit the snow it started to melt, and I began sinking into the snow, the bush, and my pants. I ended up floundering in a snow hole created by me and my toileting attempts.

Needless to say, when I got back to the bus everyone was hooting with laughter having watched the free entertainment of the Australian girl disappearing behind a bush into a hole created by her own doing.

Lesson learned - when you need to go on a snowy drive back from a village, go behind the bus.

I'm glad I can help you with these life lessons.



3 comments:

  1. We're hooting here. Having lived in the north of Japan for nearly four years where they have permanent snow for about 4 or 5 months of the year, we know a bit about snow, and can totally imagine the scene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and as an Aussie and used to long bush trips, I know about the side-of-the-road wee too! My own embarrassing story happened when I was on a trip with my boyfriend to visit his parents in Central Queensland one Christmas. I was mortified that I had to ask him to pull over for such a wee not too long after leaving his dad's place. Obviously it didn't faze him too much because he asked me to marry him a month later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a committed bush wee-er. And have also taught my daughters to be so as well.

      Delete

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!