Sunday, October 6, 2013

triple words float my boat

I have always loved playing Scrabble.  I love the way your brain has to work to figure out how the letters go together.  It is like maths.  And I love how you need to know a lot of words to do well.  Like English.  I love how it hasn't changed the rules my whole life, and I have friendships based on playing a game of Scrabble together.  Old rivalries and cups of tea within a rhythm of a relationship.

When I was younger my goal was to beat my dad.  Then my goal was to make as many words in a square as I could.  Now I play Words with Friends with three people, having several turns a day, and my goal is just to beat them (competitive much?).

For my birthday this year I received a lovely delux Scrabble board, and a scrabble mug, and a scrabble key ring....


I think people know I like Scrabble.

5 comments:

  1. Scrabble rules! I prefer playing against the iPad instead of people, because when I'm setting up a 60-point move and my 'spot' gets gazumped, I get really mad. I mean, super-mad. I prefer to be mad at the iPad instead of my loved ones. But one night I got the best opening move ever ... I made QUARTET with the Q on the double letter score and being the opening move, the whole thing was doubled, AND of course the 50 points for the bingo ... it was a 102-point opening move I kid you not!!! I took a pic with my phone, uploaded it to Facebook, somehow had to involve my iPad in the Facebooking process, and when I came back to my game, I found that because I was so excited, I'd forgotten to click "Play" so the move was lost and the game had started again ... this time with a load of stupid Us and Is and Os and a random L or T or something. Facebook is the pits sometimes I tell ya. Or maybe it's Pride that's the pits, I dunno, but I'm blaming Facebook for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I play against my journalist friend in Switzerland who often beats me. When I set up an AMAZING move I feel smug for ages, and mutter things like 'in your face wordsmith' and 'mwhaaa mwhaaa mwhaaa I am the CHAMPION'. It brings out an evil competitive side in me, and I try not to use the chat function so taunting and bad manners do not ruin our friendship.

      Delete
  2. I do like that you like a good word over a blocking play. Of course, the combination of both is AWESOME...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pretty much the good word always wins out for me over the block

      Delete

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!