Friday, March 7, 2014

bake and share

Why has this not happened before in my life?!

This is between myself and four of my friends.  We all have children.  We all need to feed the children school lunches everyday (these so-called "children" are so needy with their eating).  We all like to feed the children food that is not processed very much/more on the home baked style.  We all need a bit of incentive to cook.

Hence...

Bake and Share.

Every fortnight I bake a double batch of whatever I am going to cook for school lunches, then divide it into five.  Everyone else does the same.  It means you get five different varieties of lunchbox edibles baked by awesome people.

Your freezer is filled with this:



The rules (after four swaps) seem to be:

- you get about 20-24 little pieces of something
- it needs to be freezable
- it needs to be fairly kid friendly - the children it is going to range in ages from 2 - 17
- there is a mixture of sweet and savoury - but it is a surprise as to what turns up
- there is total honesty whether the baking has been eaten or not...

Fortunately none of the kids have allergies (although there are a couple of picky eaters and a no nuts policy for school).  I feel like I am the weak link a bit with baking, but it has made me explore slice recipes a lot - as these are easy to cook in bulk and easy to divide into 100 pieces.

I love it.  I must admit I have been taking some Bake and Share to work for my lunch, and maybe pulling out a few biccies when guests pop over.  The girls love having different foods for their lunchboxes, and love knowing that their friends' mums have cooked for them.  It is giving a real sense of community with our families.

And I can't help thinking.....

Dinner and Share
Housework and Share
Garden and Share....


5 comments:

  1. This is a great idea. Every weekend I aim to bake for the week ahead but this would actually make me do it when I was feeling a bit slack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is soooooo good Jenny. Bake once a fortnight - reap the riches of your friend's excellent baking skills! And you're right, the whole peer pressure part of it makes me do it consistently

      Delete
  2. i'm loving it- not having to create a variety of diffeent treats- I'm liking housework and share!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, how would housework and share operate - you clean my house and I clean person C's and so on?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess you would do one house together then then next house....I haven't really thought this through...

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!