Thursday, December 6, 2012

Only skinny people travel

I went to get a pair of travel pants from an outdoorsy type shop. You know, the type that wash well and dry quickly, and make you climb mountains, hike the wilderness and stand commandingly on a rockface better. They have cool little pockets and unexpected carabinas.

I needed travel pants for my upcoming trip in March to Krygyzstan and China. Very excited about this, and it deserves a blog post of it's own. But for now I am in travel preparation mode.

Which means obtaining appropriate clothing for the subzero temperatures we will experience in northern hemisphere March in close to the Himalayas mountain range.

However, as I found out today, size 16-18 bottoms do not go traveling or need travel pants. In both outdoors shops I visited I tried on several (felt like millions) of pants that were, let's say, snug. Unable to be pulled up. With no forgiving elastic for generous curves. I eventually started in on the men's sizes, and was finally able to get into a men's extra large. Which would be fine if I was a foot taller.

So I assume, according to the sizes in the outdoors shops, that only skinny people travel.

This may be possible motivation to be a skinnier version of me when I travel. On the other hand, cake, pasta and full cream milk.


3 comments:

  1. Unless you're planning to climb mountains, you could get away with jeans and long johns. They aren't too tight. And they don't usually cost and arm and a leg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am planning to swan around in the snow and only take two pairs of pants for four weeks - so I think jeans won't dry quick enough. Thanks for the advice! How cold does it get where you are?

      Delete
  2. We used to live in Sapporo (for 4 years), where it got down to -20 on occasion. But most winter days were just under zero and night about -10. Not as cold as some places in the world, but they do get the most snow of any city in the world. Tokyo, where we now are, is not so severe (but the houses are much colder than Sapporo, so we often feel just as cold). Temperatures are usually single digits during the day and hang around zero at night. It only snows here a couple of times in a winter, and usually that is gone within a day or two.

    If you're wearing longjohns under a pair of jeans, you don't need to change the jeans often. Just wash the lighter underwear! For "swanning around in the snow", we adults always use some (fairly) cheap, lightweight "plastic" pants over the top of tracksuit pants or jeans. They keep your pants dry. They pack small.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!