Friday, August 12, 2011

just eat it

I have been on a three day very intensive conference on 'Picky Eaters and Fussy Feeders'.  Three days and a LOT of information.

In our family we have a picky eater.  I know lots of other little people who are fussy feeders. It is frustrating and tricky and sometimes you fail like you are failing your job as a parent because your child won't eat.

I learnt a few liberating things.  Really for kids it is all about them.  So they are not refusing to eat just to make you angry.  They are dealing with all sorts of sensory or oral motor issues their brain is firing at them.  So it is not really what I am doing that is making them not it (but I could be contributing by increasing the adrenalin and anxiety).

And there are heaps of things you can do to support a child who doesn't eat.  I spent three days learning all about it.  Position, sensory supports, food hierarchies, steps to eating, development of foods, oral motor development, food 'jags', systematic desensitisation....

I am looking forward to applying all my new knowledge at work before it leaks out of my brain and dribbles down my neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!