Saturday, June 9, 2012

Books books books

So off we went to the Lifeline bookfest today. We took our rolly suitcases - having learnt from past experience that the books mount up quickly and your arms start to ache carrying them. Last year I took the laundry basket and trolley to put books in, and Gabby refused to walk with me. She walked an embarrassment free twenty metres away.

It is quite an overwhelming experience. SO many books - it is almost impossible to find a particular title. But last year I managed to pull out the missing title of a series in exactly the same edition as the one I had at home. This year no such luck.

Two years ago I requested a particular book from one of the lifeline staff. They said they would keep an eye out and took my name and number. 18 months later I got a phone message 'we have your book'. What excellent service! From all the recycled books all over Brisbane they had found it.

When Annika was a baby we went to the bookfest. She ended up being carried while her pram was filled with books.

I always think about all those authors who have poured their heart and souls into these books, hours and hours of labour and dreams, the thrill of getting it published - only to be shuffled and handled by the booky masses at the recycled bookfest. It makes me think of eternity - what is temporal and what lasts forever.

And this year we also found this book



I think the creature on the front of this book is sucking it's bottom lip just like my Gabby. It is very fun when there is random stuff like this.

Bookfest. Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!