Friday, August 31, 2012

in the last week

I have had lasagna regrets.  I made a very awesome cheese sauce (with the help of a supportive cheese sauce friend), then had that moment of layering anxiety when you can't remember which order the meat, cheese and pasta goes.  Is it meat then cheese then pasta?  Or pasta then meat then cheese?  Anyway - I ended with pasta.  Which burnt.

Lasagna regret.

This really was the best cheese sauce I have ever made.  Maybe it was the rubber band around the whisk cunningly placed there by Lisa to ensure the whisk was not too floppy.  And I did not measure any quantities at all - some butter, some flour, lots of milk, handfuls of grated cheese.

Before it went into the oven to be burnt by my neglect while attending to much more important conversations with the visiting guests.  I was too ashamed to take a photo of the finished crispy black around the edges product.

This is not a cooking blog need I remind you.

We have also had a billet staying with us from New Caledonia for two weeks.  He was ten and on a school exchange.  The girls were desperate to have a billet so I said yes.  It was great having a boy around the house for two weeks - I played soccer a lot and attempted terrible French on him.  Fortunately his English was excellent.


I am pretty sure he left our family thinking he had just spent two weeks in the crazy house.



I also watched my beautiful eldest daughter graduate from the Shine program at school today.  This was a program run by the chaplain that worked on self-esteem and valuing the girls.  She was chosen to do the thank you speech to the volunteer leaders - she did a wonderful job and I got a little teary.

Each day and night is filled with life at our house at the moment - with friends and food and exercise and singing and laughing.  Fortunately I have not even had time to clean the bathroom.

Oh well.

I did have time to go and watch some cool kids play some softball on a Friday afternoon at interschool sport.  Yay.

And an exercise update.  I can now run for 8 minutes on a treadmill at a speed of 10. With some small huffing and puffing breaks.  That is quite a lot of running for me.  For about 20 seconds today I felt like I was actually running smoothly.  Then I thought about it and lost my rhythm.  At least I know if I am running away from a bear, and there is a treadmill nearby I can run away from the bear for 8 minutes.  After that I would be mauled.

How DO you layer a lasagna?

8 comments:

  1. Haha, what a beautiful post of lots of lovely things, Catriona! Love it.

    Good job with the running! (Haha!!) I'm convinced that it's just when you start to "think" about it on a treadmill that you lose it. Either that or when you listen to a comedy program on TV at the gym (I did that and seriously nearly fell off laughing.)

    Sounds like life at your place is lovely and busy at the moment! Fun to have a billet! And good job, Annika :)

    And I don't know how to layer a lasagne properly either. Sorry! No help. BUT... if I'd been there as an eater, I would have devoured the burnt pasta bits on top with alacrity. They're the best bits. So it sounds like a complete cooking success to me. :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bloss! You are welcome at our house to eat burnt lasagna any time!

      Delete
  2. Well done on the running! I couldn't do that, but I'm just getting back into swimming, which I can do. But I am a total lasagna noob. Sometimes the top burns all crispy while the inside is like stew. Children refuse all nice food irrespective, so it hardly matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I really don't know why I bother too much with cooking. We did have guests though, who probably deserved an unburnt meal.

      Delete
  3. Pasta, meat then cheese. You asked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still thinking about lasagna: with three things to layer up, you can't go too far wrong. Either you get it right - or you get it right, but upside-down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still got it wrong - the last layer of pasta did not have enough liquid to cook it and it was crunchy and burnt

      Delete

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!