Sunday, September 29, 2013

buying new swimmers is the WORST

With the change of season here it is time to get new swimmers.  Over winter children have grown taller and having a wedgie with  your swimmers is not acceptable at school swimming.  For some reason the elastic in rashies is designed to last about three months, so they collapse halfway through the summer season and the girls emerge from the surf wearing a sort of elastic dress.

So off we went to the shops for hopefully an easy purchase of new togs for school.  HA!

Maybe I am the only mother in Brisbane who doesn't want her 10 and 12 year old wearing push up bra bikinis.  I am pretty sure my ten year old does not need padding on top.  It was very difficult to find just a one piece normal shaped swimmer.  And with a rashie to match - because their white white pale skin BURNS so easily.  We finally settled on Speedos (thank you speedos for not changing your design.  Ever.), even though they were pushing the budget they were not pushing top padding.

I also needed new swimmers.  When the elastic disintegrates around your arms and you are swimming freestyle laps...it gets a little bit TOO freestyle.  I grabbed a pair of speedos without even trying them on in the shop (because really, I would rather eat a ball of hair than happily try on several pairs of swimmers in the shops) - fortunately they mostly fit except for the back fat.  This I plan to get rid of with my lap swimming.

I broke in my new swimmers by doing a quick km in the pool.  All good.

And hopefully the agony of buying new swimmers is over for another year.

This is exactly how I look in my new swimmers.  Focused.  Fit. In my head.

4 comments:

  1. I hate buying togs. I can't imagine what it would be like trying to do it for tween girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand about the elastic in rashies! Everyone needs new ones here. I, too, look like that swimming girl in my mind, and if I say so myself, I look great.

    So (just before I launch in to buying Anna-Lucia new swimmers) are you saying the $65 Speedos at Amart Sports is where I'll end up? Or do you have a hot tip that won't break the bank?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We ended up with the $40 speedos at Trade Secret and the $70 speedos at Rebel Sport....depending on individual size and style. I was tempted by the ones that said 'curve minimiser' but realised I was fighting a losing battle there...

      Delete
  3. You should try Wiggle. Comes from the UK but a lot cheaper and free shipping if you buy over a certain amount. If you go with Speedo Endurance they last forever - even when in chlorine all the time.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!