Monday, September 9, 2013

party news

It's like a little knocking on the back of my brain - 'update the blog', 'write about what is happening' - but most of the time it is fairly easy to ignore.  But here is a quick update:

Fortieth birthday op shop party went very well.  It was a bit overwhelming having nearly all my friends and family at my house at the same time - but it was lovely to see everyone.  I had a bit of hostess anxiety about making sure everyone had someone to talk with, and a drink, and something to eat, and the running schedule of the night - but that's part of the fun....isn't it?

I was really happy with how everything ended up looking.  Op shop theme is a great theme - nothing needs to match!

So much food - thanks everyone for cooking!




My wonderful cake made by the beautiful Kerrie.  It is caramel mudcake topped with chocolate mudcake, topped with a tea cup cake -  I think it is symbolising all the many cups of tea I have had with friends and family over the years, and many more to come!

My dress was $7 from the op shop - hand made by somebody and fitted me like a glove.




Lanterns on the deck ready for the party.  I love these lanterns.  I had the same champagne type ones in my house when I was small.




Chris made a wonderful speech.  Love him.  Mostly gorgeous and only a little bit embarassing.  Mum also made a great speech, revealing parts of my personality from when I was small that still ring true. Annika wrote me a song. A real proper song that she sang and played the piano accompaniment. I felt so proud and I cried and laughed and then cried some more. Some of the lyrics are
'you think you're so hilarious, but I don't always agree, 
you know deep down inside, I laugh until I see, how amazing you are'
and
'I've never had a day when I didn't love you, 
I've never seen a day when you weren't strong, 
I've never been away without missing you,
 I've never seen a time when you didn't sing a song'. 

 Such a wonderful gift from a beautiful daughter. It had a chord progression and everything (did I mention I was proud?).




All of us in our op shop clothes.  Such fun!




I had live musicians playing - it was really nice and added excellent ambience.  There was some very interesting oufits.....I think everyone had fun finding that special something at the op shop.

My girls had a wonderful time going through all my photos to make a photo timeline for me. It is astonishing how pictures of me as a girl look just like Annika.  The genes are strong there.  We picked way too many photos, so we had to do a cull to see what made it onto the wall.  We used little paper doilies to mark out the timeline.







In all the preparation for the party I kind of forgot the fact that I was turning 40.  Maybe I am supposed to have a midlife crisis or something.

But I'm not.  I feel blessed with family and friends.  I know I am redeemed with God.  I am cool with the fact that I have never backed a trailer, been to Paris or folded a fitted sheet.  I have learnt so much and I have so much more to learn.

Bring on 40 more.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Catriona
    Where are the fotobooth piccies?????
    Sarah is getting anxious
    dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hassled the photographer today.....they are coming.

      Delete

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!