Wednesday, March 2, 2011

hidden talent

I am a great admirer of the Woman's Weekly Children's cake cookbook.  I used to pour over the pages - choosing what I would have for my birthday.  And now my children do the same.  And we make it for them.  I use the term 'we', but it is really my wonderfully talented husband who is the cake decorator in our house.  I make the middle cake part (or buy it from the shops) and sometimes I even make the butter icing that glues it all together.  But the decorating I leave to him.

Who knew, in this amazing man I married, that there was a hidden talent for making pony fairy mermaid cakes from fondant icing.

And due to the Pine family policy of only having a birthday party every three years (3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21) there needs to be a fuss made over the birthday child every year - and a cake designed by Dad is a fuss!

Here are some from the back catalogue over the years:

Annika's 7th birthday 

Gab's 5th birthday


Annika's 8th birthday - fairy cake for home and watermelon cake for school




 Gabby's 6th birthday (a party year) - castle cake for home and honeydew melon cake for school (I actually made both these ones - notice the drop in quality)


Annika's 9th birthday cake (a party year - she chose the lollybag)


Annika's 10th birthday - the bookworm cake




There are more - from the early years - I will have to scan the photos in!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!