Friday, November 25, 2011

introducing my new star...

I wanted a star puppet for all of the Wide Eyed Christmas shows.  So a star was born.

Here's how I made my first star puppet:

1. took a template that my engineeringly minded husband had scale drawn to the foam shop - where they cut out a star shape with a LASER CUTTER from high density foam.


2. visited my lovely friend Kerrie who problem-solved how to put a mouth on the star puppet - with podiatry-foam shaped like lips, and a button stuck to the bottom lip through which we threaded fishing line.  We put a piece of black plastic behind the mouth so the lip would move smoothly and not get stuck on the foam.  Foam to foam friction is strong.  Thanks Kerrie for puppet crafting problem solving friendship!

And I had some spare ping pong balls around the house, so they became eyes once I added a bit of black felt.


3. asked my children to help me glitter the star puppet.  They did not enjoy this or fight about who was holding the glitter bottle at all. (....)



4.  asked wonderful husband to construct a rod to stick up the star's....well...bottom.  Painted it black.  Found a kite string holder deep in my children's room and attached it to the star's mouth so I could operate it without slicing off my fingers with fishing line.

5.  And introducing....


Twinkle!


She is a bit anxious, and afraid of heights.  And she saw what happened on the very first Christmas.

I have been standing in front of a mirror practising operating her mouth and expressions.  And she had her first show yesterday.  She needed her puffer - she got a bit out of breath and anxious.


Why is my left eye always squinty in photos?  And check out my puppeteering forearms!  If only the rest of me got so toned....

3 comments:

  1. A great idea is always worth stealing.

    Thanks heaps.

    http://www.simone1975.blogspot.com/2011/12/star-of-christmas.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reference Simone - I hope your star worked really well!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!