Wednesday, November 9, 2011

long service leave

I have taken this term as long service leave.  When I filled in the paperwork for it in January I thought - oh, I might take it a bit slow in Term 4.  Smell the roses.  Sit and have a think.  Have long ladies luncheons.  Calmly help my children with homework and have time for art projects.

HA.

I think I have said 'yes' to too many things in my long service time - thinking - I'll have lots of time now that pesky work is not in the way.  I have not even had much time to clean the bathroom let alone sit and think.  Although cleaning the bathroom is never ever high on the agenda for me.

I have written out a list of Jobs Around The House.  Actually I have accomplished a few of them (with help) - built a chook house, got a sink on the deck, weeded out the back garden, cleaned out cupboards and filled bags for Lifeline.  I am passively resisting painting.  I do not enjoy painting.

I have also written a list of Things That I Never Get Around to Doing.  Such as organising photos and transferring videos from the camera.  So far this has not been accomplished.

However.

Scooter is being trained.  A well trained border collie is a thing of beauty.

I have supported my quite fragile older daughter this term when she has had friendship meltdowns and emotional mornings/afternoons/nights.  If I was at work I would already have had many sick days to look after her.

I have also had the opportunity to do some wonderful ministry by just being available.  Like holding new babies, and minding 20 month olds, and contributing to kids ministry at church, and planning properly for RE, and coming up with LOTS of ideas for growth  groups, and writing stories for a kindy in China, and helping with Christmas carols, and helping friends who need a listening ear and a cup of tea.

The other exciting part of long service is the opportunity to do a lot of puppet shows in the weeks leading up to Christmas.  The scripts are written, rehearsals are happening, and Wide Eyed Stories are nearly booked up!  Yay - my little dream and hope of being a puppeteer is starting to happen.

Who knows in 2012?  Work? Who has time!

3 comments:

  1. Again, I am amazed at the Pines listening to what I say- what an ego boost!
    It's amazing what you can achieve when work is sidelined- but I'm glad you've been available for those that have needed you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just practising for retirement!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for being available to help us!! It has been really nice to catch up like old times!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!