Friday, March 9, 2012

Holiday installment

I have not blogged for a little while because we are on holidays at the moment. On the annual beach holiday with the rellies. I feel relaxed and rested - we have done puzzles and played games, and been to several different beaches, and eaten much food. I have bought three puppets (!) with plans to use them in many shows this year.

This is the professor. I feel he lends a sense of wisdom to my performances.


The kids have built a big cubby in the trees down the back behind the holiday house where they have spent each afternoon playing. I do extremely important things in the house like have cups of tea and do the crossword in the paper.

There are kids in this picture somewhere. They are having fun. I can't hear them. They come up occasionally for snacks. It is a win situation.



Despite predictions of rain all week it has stayed fine and we have had several trips to the beach. The girls are getting very good and boogie boarding. I like to sit on the sand and watch them, scooping San do to my legs and letting it trickle through my fingers. I like to build dribble castles from wet sand and see how high they get. The complete absorption of the tiny and the profound, the waves crashing in and sucking out. Today it was high tide at the blowhole at Sawtell. When you stood over the crack in the rocks as the waves whooshed in the air raced through a crack and blew hard back up through the rock, like the ocean was a grandpa snorting and blowing his nose in the morning.


Puzzles on holidays are almost like a competitive sport, with us all focused on fitting in the last piece. I had a few thoughts that life is like a puzzle:
- you can't MAKE things go together that don't want to
- you often can't see the big picture
- it takes time to sort it out
- some people are 'do the edges first' people and some people are 'do the picture I can see in front of me'
- it is very satisfying completing it

We go home tomorrow to unpack and wash and check on the chickens.

Holidays are so good because it they are not like the everyday.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!