Friday, December 10, 2010

extra curricular

I am sure most parents would have had these thought processes -  What activities should my children do?  How many?  How much?  How far will I have to drive them?  Will it benefit them?

I find I am thinking maybe a little too much about this, and polling all my friends to see what their thoughts are.  There are so many things to choose from - art, music, sport, dancing, circus, gymnastics, drama, actually probably not sport for my girls, training butterflies, needlepoint - I think I would love an activity called CHORES.  And we are not counting kid's club at church as an activity at the moment.

We have told our girls they can choose two things each to do after school.  They both want to do about four.  Enter NEGOTIATION WOMAN - a lesser known super hero who likes to draw up lists of pros and cons, and does lots of reflective listening. 

Currently the top choices of activity for my two are:
- oldest - piano and dancing (tap and jazz).  She would love to do art.  She is also starting trumpet at school next year so something has to give.
- youngest - dancing (ballet and tap) and ummmmm - she can't decide between gymnastics, swimming, speech/drama, and cricket.

NEGOTIATION WOMAN's foot may have to go firmly down.  There is only so much driving and follow up practise that you can do.

Stay tuned.

Comments and opinions welcome on this issue.

2 comments:

  1. We had a limit of two things each - 4 children, mostly different activities, all at different times... I've got no recourse to complain to my Mum about the running around... My kids only do swimming at present but am planning to set a 2-things limit too xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say- yay Gabby, cricket as an option- Dad should be super proud!
    Lisa.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!