Wednesday, November 10, 2010

as a triathlete...

Three weekends ago I went in a triathlon.

I had wanted to do one for about a year, and to my husband's great credit he did not laugh out loud when I said that it was one of my goals.

I was talking with one of my friends at my 20 year school reunion (!!!!) in April and she said we wanted to do a triathlon as well.  So....the word was out. I was semi committed.

Then I googled 'triathlon' and found this one.  We paid up, we chose a team name ('have a crack at it'), and we were fully committed.  To the medium course.  200m swim, 6km bike ride, 2km run.

I did some mild training with swimming and cycling.  Well, I had to get a bike out of the shed and dust off the cobwebs - I don't even own a bike.  I figured with the running part I could just walk.  I am sure I had walked two kilometres around Carindale before.

We arrived at Runaway Bay with the 600 other ladies in the event.  It was like a big fete. For sporty people who liked pink.  Who punched the air and knew what to do with their bikes.

 A lady wrote my number on my arm and leg.  I instantly felt athletic and ready to go.

Although by the time I got to the pool I had lost my timing chip and forgot to put on suncream.  Before I knew it I was in the water DOING A TRIATHLON!


My swimming leg was great - I overtook heaps of people, and only hit one lady in the head accidentally, and I burst out of the water feeling strong and ready to ride.
Then it took me ages to put on my shoes
and I had lost my hat and water bottle and had to borrow my friends.
I really need to work on my transitions.
That's what us triathletes call the bit where you get changed ready to do the next bit.
The riding was fine
except for the bit where the chain came off my bike
Luckily I just flicked it back on and kept riding.
Then came the running.
My worst leg.
I think I ran the 200m out of the stadium
then walked around the carpark a bit
then ran the 200m back into the stadium to the finish line.

But I had done it!
In a personal (and only) best of 49 minutes.
I felt really proud of myself and my friend.
We are goal achievers!
We are girls who are committed!
We are TRIATHLETES!

And now I feel I can start conversations with
'as a triathlete....'

I am going to do it again.  Improve my running leg and my time.

Who's in?

3 comments:

  1. you funny lady. go you good thing xx (ps can't join as safely a whole state away and fear wrecking my run-when-chased policy)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmm knowing that you have a secret desire to be in the amazing race you might be interested in this:
    http://www.cityraid.com.au/
    A few friends and I entered teams at the beginning of the year and all of us had a blast...planning to go in it again next year 'cos it really was a ton of fun :D

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!