Thursday, November 4, 2010

teaching RE to grade two

Since Easter this year I have had the pleasure of being a RE teacher for grade two at my local school.  I pack up my ipod (which has way too many Colin Buchanan songs on to be cool), a challenge (very happy with the minute-to-win-it game site for RE ideas - thanks Channel 7) and my Connect program and teach four classes a week. It is an amazing opportunity to talk about God in our classrooms.
After a quick student poll this morning the year's favourite RE activities have been:

- digging around in cold cooked spaghetti to find 'treasure' to illustrate King Josiah finding the book of law in the temple
- playing 'Gatekeeper' - a great game I made up where I get to be a grumpy gatekeeper who only lets in certain types of animals
- making sheep craft (really?  really???  are cotton wool sheep that good?  I thought I was being cheap..)
- playing the pedometer game where you shake your head to see how many clicks you can get with a pedometer strapped to a headband - I am sure I linked it into the lesson somehow

I will have to organise my Re ideas into some sort of categorising system.  That's what an organised person would do who wanted to remember them for another year.  Maybe.....

2 comments:

  1. You might want to clarify what RE stands for. Religious Education, right. We call it scripture in NSW.
    The podometer on the head is hilarious. I would like to see that.
    KT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to use the spaghetti idea. Also going to use the pedometer one. I wonder how I can relate it to tomorrow's lesson?

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!