Tuesday, September 13, 2011

travelling day four - the day I discover chance comments lead to gifts

I had the wonderful opportunity this morning to share storytelling ideas and strategies for working with kids with a group of teachers.  This had been arranged by my friend - one lady had even travelled from another district to come (like coming from NSW to QLD).  They were so geniune and kind and concerned about the children in their care, and asked wonderful and insightful questions.  I felt very privileged to meet them.
And then I was having a conversation with the principal of the small school afterwords at a specially prepared lunch for us, and I asked what is the support like for children with difficulties or disabilities in China.  I am interested to know, and have a heart for this area.  We had a long talk about how really there is limited knowledge and resources in this area, and having a child that is not so academic is very difficult in one child China.  And then she told me about some friends she knew who had twins with some difficulties - and I said I would love to meet them.
The father has just dropped around to the apartment with a gift of mooncakes, prior to the visit with the girls in a couple of days.  This overwhelmed me a bit, and I had to think through how I am in a different culture now - as much as it feels like home in some ways there are some bigger differences, and I have a limited comprehension of it as I understand very little of the language.
I am looking forward to meeting the twin girls and seeing if I can support them in some way.

In other news Gab and I ate our first lotus fruit today at the lunch.  Yummy - but a lot of work for the fruit - like a pomegranate.  Stay tuned for more adventures - we are going to the fabric market tomorrow to source puppet materials!!







Chris' cultural tips: Your kids are always cuter overseas
My kids are cute.  I am the first to admit that.  I may be biased, but I reckon they are good looking kids.  But even my views pale in comparison to the looks, smiles, comments and even touches they are getting here in China.  We adults get a few looks from strangers, but it is the kids that attract all the attention.  The locals think our kids (and the kids of our friends) are just the cutest things they have ever seen.  It certainly helps to open doors and disarm people when you have a few cute kids to smooth the way.

Upon reflection it all makes sense.  Have we not all said or heard comments in Australia about the cute African kid, or the cute Asian kid.  We look, we smile, we comment.  We are now experiencing that in reverse.  And it all leads me to conclude with more certainty - your kids are always cuter overseas.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if Kids are better behaved overseas? We could send Miles out to you express post..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even think about Miles in the traffic here...

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!