Friday, September 16, 2011

travelling day seven - yes it is a market - a big, big, random market

The expedition today to the CRAZY market was successful - if you count success as Annika and Gabby spending pocket money on Chinese bitsy things and Chris actually finding something to buy.  It was like shopping in the street version of Crazy Clarks but with motorbikes and pushcarts and products everywhere.  I bought two lanterns that I thought would fold up - but just kind of become smaller.  They may or may not make it into the suitcase to come home.  I became better at bargaining as we went around the market, learnt important Chinese phrases such as 'how much', 'too expensive', 'I don't want it', and 'yes please I'll take it thank you very much'.  Annika even had a turn at bargaining!  For numbers I just used my fingers. 

We were searching for specific items at the market - a ukelele (we did not find one), long balloons (found a packet of 200 for $1), scarves (purchased) and gifts for friends (much list ticking from the girls).  And we also found random items - a pink puppet sized umbrella for dizzy and 140 ping pong balls for the eyes for the puppet making project (yes it has become a project) that I have going here.

to market to market

a normal intersection

trash can bread - mmmmmmmm
a rare slow moment in the crazy market

shopping face.  and 140 ping pong balls.

In other news here are some things about China that I have noticed;
- I have had a persistant cough now for a week - the Wuhan air has settled in my lungs
- I am missing the lorikeets at our house in Brisbane - there is a strange absence of animal life in this big city
- I love Chinese food
- friendships are more instant and intense when you are travelling
- we are being used for the Kingdom with what we know - this is exciting and a blessing, and you get the feeling that we are here for a special planned time
- we are not sick yet, and this is not from our strength

Tonight we also helped with an English conversation class.  This is always fun, and I really enjoy talking with new people.  Actually, I really enjoy talking.



Tomorrow we are helping with the school assembly for their daughter of the friends we are staying with, and I am helping again at the kindy with storytelling.  And Chris gets to watch the swannies game at a friends house.  We have settled in well in less than a week!



Chris’ cultural tip: It’s all a matter of taste
When you come to China you expect all sorts of weird and varied tastes, and we haven’t been disappointed.  From the bizarre to the delightful our palate is experiencing all sorts of new sensations.  One thing I didn’t totally expect though was how some things we know and love in Australia have their tastes changed to suit China.  You get all sorts of bizarre things like green tea ice cream Oreos.  To give you an idea here is a sample of the selection of the flavours of potato chips in the local supermarket, starting from the relatively normal to the… well you’ll see:
  • American classic
  • Texas grilled BBQ
  • Mexican tomato chicken
  • Little tomato
  • Italian red meat
  • Tomato seafood
  • Lime
  • Lemon tea
  • Cucumber
  • Blueberry
  • And my personal favourite (though I doubt I will try some)…


So as you can see even the tastes of chips are tailored to suit the culture they are in.  And even though they may seem bizarre, considering China’s 1.3 billion people, they are probably selling far more of these flavours than our humble salt & vinegar.  Which just goes to show it’s all a matter of taste.

1 comment:

  1. Nice shopping face, Chris!- that doesn't look too bad at all! I'm sure we could have purchased those balls at Sunrise imports- or are you going to use them in China? MMM those chip flavours sound interesting indeed- as I sit here eating some "mango chutney" flavoured chips!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!