Thursday, January 12, 2012

I declare...

that there is not a really good word in English for an adult that is a friend and not a teacher and not a relative but you still need to show some respect for the adult.  Mrs Surname is too formal, and Shazza is not respectful enough.

I learned today that there is such a word in Afrikaans as I was having a cup of tea with my lovely South African friend at our annual book covering party support group (as a side note all books are now covered for the school year with relatively little bubble contact action and much use of the new label maker).

The word is 'Tannie'.  An aunty who is not a real aunty but a friend aunty.

So from now on I will encourage my children to call adults friends using the address 'Tannie "insert name here".

I forgot to ask if this was for both male and female adults.  We could offend the Springboks if we yell out at a game 'SCORE TANNIE "insert current Springbok player name here".

1 comment:

  1. Very useful - I had thrown the word "Aunty" about with no genetic requirements, but this may help in figuring out the extensive family tree when the kids are a bit older

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!