Thursday, February 23, 2012

a new initiative in the house gets rounds of applause

We had a family meeting the other day to discuss the level of chores the children were doing.  We have raised it to:
- making their bed every day
- making their own lunch
- unpacking the dishwasher every day
- tidying their rooms once a week
- cleaning the bathroom once a week
- vacuuming their rooms once a week
- feeding the dog every day
- taking the dog for a walk
- putting on at least one load of washing a week

They complained and carried on like they were convicts bound for Botany Bay - but the new list has been working well, and I feel like they are contributing to the household.  And when they were being a bit first world princess about it - I made them watch the TEAR video about first world and third world kids.

After this meeting I asked - are there any other issues to raise?  Gabby said 'can we choose what to eat?'  So I said (in a stroke of brilliance on my part) 'you choose it, you cook it'.  So I made them plan a menu and tell me the ingredients to get.  And they are cooking a night a week each.

mixing sausage roll mince
It is fantastic.  I will see how long it lasts.  But if they are able to take responsibility for what and how they are eating and learning skills about how long it takes to make dinner (Annika misjudged the other night and it was 7.30 before her dinner was ready) I count it as a win.  Even if it only lasts a month.  But I am hoping this one lasts for a longtime.

and they were delicious.  And even contained vegetables.
 A round of applause to the cooks.

3 comments:

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!