Monday, March 11, 2013

traveling day five - in which we drive a long way around a long lake

We took a minivan out to Karakol today to be ready for the conference that starts on Monday.  It was a beautiful 7 hour drive around the second largest lake at altitude in the world (trivia fact.  Thank you.) - Lake Issyk-Kol.  I wasn't able to take any picture postcard photos out of the window as we were moving too fast.  I will attempt some later this week.

It was roadside truck stop time for lunch - and we had some delicious lagman (noodle broth meaty soup).  My predictions and memories of the food in Krygyzstan being nothing to write home about have been unfounded for Deanne and Granny, as everything we have had so far has been tasty tasty tasty.


I presented the boys of our hosts with the gifts I had bought from Australia - a lightsabre each.  I was glad I had put the effort into finding three different lightsabres.

This is the joy of a boy who now has his own lightsabre.  Thanks Helen for the awesome gift suggestion.  Although now I being slayed at every opportunity.  I am plotting my revenge from my DeathStar.


We took a walk through downtown Karakol in the afternoon to buy some biscuits for the conference.  I love how the mountains are surrounding and cradling the town.  I love how boys all over the world play soccer and girls sit and giggle with friends.


Tomorrow we start our therapy conference.  There are 15 people coming, we think.  It is all a bit of an unknown.  I feel both very prepared and very unprepared.  I have no powerpoint, because it will not be in Russian.  I have videos and examples and experience.  Deanne and I will be talking with parents, teachers and carers about alternative communication - which may be a completely new concept.  I think we will be thinking on our feet a lot.

I took a few photos of Deanne interacting with our resident model baby to demonstrate communication.  Nothing like gathering your images the night before you present.  Anyone who knows me well will know this is completely unlike me and I am an organised nerd.  I am thinking 'not in my strength'.


After I meet everyone tomorrow I think the butterflies will go away.

Onwards.

2 comments:

  1. Although no one is commenting, you know that we are reading right? Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm Deanne's friend. I commented once before, but it didn't come through, so here we go again. Hope your conference is going well today. I'm sure the information will be very well appreciated. Also hope the food stays tasty! I'll look forward to following your progress!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!