Monday, March 18, 2013

traveling day twelve - in which I get tempted to buy a little brown calf

The day started off with our excursion to the animal bazaar at dawn.  I didn't know what to expect - but there were many people and animals.  Many.  It seemed like the whole population of Karakol and surrounding villages had descended upon the market grounds to buy and/or sell their sheep, cows and horses.  The little lambs were the cutest, and I felt very tempted by a little brown calf that a man offered me.  Unfortunately I don't think it would fit into my suitcase.

crowd at the animal bazaar

this lady wanted to show us her little lambs - awwww

standing with some sheep who were warming themselves against the wall

getting the sheep home

my near purchase....
After a restful afternoon we finished the day with a traditional 'banya' (sauna).  There was sweat, slapping with leaves, sitting outside in the cold and much steam.  I am not sure I loved it, but my skin felt great afterwards and there was mush giggling. 

And I feel the need to report on a couple of domestic disasters.  I have spilt hot oil and coffee all over the kitchen of our host family.  I have washed dark pants with medium lights of my travelling companions and turned their clothes different colours.  I am assured that the water is different here - but I feel really bad.  Sorry Granny for the purple undies.

Onwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!