Saturday, March 9, 2013

travelling day three - in which my pixie beanie brings joy to the locals of Bishkek

Flying into Bishkek was surreal and amazing.  I had strong memories of the first time Chris and I came here 13 years ago - the uncertainty and nervousness about coming to a new country.  And the complete lack of Russian.

This time the view from the plane over the Tien Chen mountain range was just as good, and the airport was updated and welcoming. 

It had snowed in Bishkek the night before, so we had a beautiful drive into the city through snow fields with mountain ranges in the background.  Bishkek was designed by a horticulturalist, so the city is full of trees and parks, all covered in fresh snow.  Lovely.  And cold.


This is the front yard of where we are staying.


I pulled out my blue pixie beanie that had been given to me for the trip by the lovely Juliet.  As I walked through the city centre I attracted many, what I think 'admiring' glances.  Nobody else here has such a distinctive beanie.  There were many smiles on the locals faces - with me or at me I am not sure..


Walking through one of the many parks.


We had plov, bread, tea and shashlich for lunch - traditional food.  It was delicious.

This statue was in the main square in town.  It was International Women's Day, so there were plenty of people out and about celebrating the women in their life.  Mostly by giving flowers, selling balloons and taking photos in front of backdrops.


One thing that really surprised me on the first day here was how much Russian I have remembered.  I though I only knew how to say hello, goodbye and numbers - but as I am listening to conversations with locals I find I am understanding about 75% of what they are saying.  And I throw random Russian words back at them.  I never really got the grammar of Russian, but I the vocabulary is being pulled rapidly from the back of my mind to the front.  I thank and remember my Russian teacher from 13 years ago, because her hard work drummed words into my brain that are now flooding back.

Bishkek has changed a lot since I was here last.  I look forward to exploring it more tomorrow.

Onwards.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, amazing to think while I was celebrating International Women's Day over in our corner of the globe other women were also celebrating our common femininity! I think it's amazing you know any Russian at all. I've heard it's a very complex tongue to master. How is Deanne going, I was wondering how easily a speech therapist picks up words in another culture?!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!