Friday, November 5, 2010

black chickens

We mind two scrap disposal units.  Other people call them chickens, but I know them for what they really are.  Organic SDUs.
I feed them pretty much anything.  In this picture they are eating grain, but that is a rarity.  Mostly it is anything left over from cooking, or that has been lurking in the fridge or pantry too long.  Chicken purists would probably say that is not good for them.  They seem hale and hearty and their feathers are still shiny.
Their names are Dorothea and Theodora.  I don't know which one is which.  One lays eggs.  The other one is free loading.
This is their house.  It is sturdy, but there is plenty of room under for snakes and rats to lurk.  I'm sure they are there - just haven't seen one yet.
This is the inside of the house - plenty of shredded paper from work.  Speech therapy reports - this is your final resting place.  Church financial statements - put to a new use.  When the chooks finish with the paper I put it into our compost tumble bin - after a couple of weeks it is lovely compost for the garden.  Very environmental.
No egg yet today.  I read somewhere that they lay every 26 hours - so it is slightly different everyday.  Usually when Dorothea/Theodora is laying the neighbourhood hears about it.  I understand sweetheart.  Imagine passing a big egg out your butt everyday.
The chook corner.  One organic free range egg a day. And insanely efficient scrap disposal.

1 comment:

  1. awesome chook accommodation! only one egg a day? I never knew that!

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!