Monday, November 29, 2010

treats for friends

Every year around this time we are madly getting organised for Christmas stuff.  I know, I know - crazy hey?  But it seems to happen every year, so here we are.

Part of being at school is being in a class.  And part of being in a class is handing out treats for your friends and writing cards at Christmas.  So my girls have been busily writing meaningful 'to-from' cards - the younger one has been decorating her envelopes with beautiful drawings, and I thought I had the treats thing covered by buying cheap candy canes a month ago.

Apparently not good enough.

I made the mistake of making little holly things last year (and the year before) for the friend treats.  And now they are expected.  I couldn't get away with $2 shop candy canes.  Holly things it is.

Here's how you make them.

Gather supplies - Jaffas, mint leaves, red and green cellophane, locate the only pair of scissors in the house, and sticky tape.
Twist one jaffa in a square of red cellophane and two mint leaves each in their own green cellophane.
Then twist them together to look like a little branch of holly and tape up the sucker.
Try not to eat too many mint leaves.

I made 20.  My oldest daughter made six.

In case you are interested it takes one packet of green cellophane and one of red, half a packet of jaffas, and one packet of mint leaves to do a class of 26 kids.

My oldest daughter is probably right - they are more interesting than candy canes that someone just bought from the shop.

Do you think my four packets of candy canes will last until next year?

1 comment:

  1. Ants are partial to candy canes. Even the ones that don't get nibbled still taste of ant.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!