Tuesday, October 18, 2011

big grub alert

Long service - where the days pass by in list-ticking, friend-catching, child-homework-supporting and gardening. 

While gardening today I bumped a branch and with my superior strength it broke it half.  Or maybe it was because it was weakened by this
By the time I had run upstairs to get the camera it had retreated halfway back into the branch so there was not a good glimpse of it's yellow bigger-than-both-my-thumbs body.

I showed the grub alive looking sausage to a guy who had come over to give a quote on tree pruning.  He also took a picture with his phone and said he had never seen anything like it.

When Chris arrived home he pulled it out of the branch.
It does look a bit like he was just about to chuck it on the barbie.

Entomologists - please identify.

3 comments:

  1. That's super gross!
    I have an idea- freeze it and save it for the next "dare night"- I'm feeling ill just looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larva of a Wood Boring Insect - intesecticus borious pineous.
    Hope that narrows it down. Better check out the rest of the tree and give it a prune!
    Kerrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend's husband is an entomologist and he says it is the pupa of a wood moth - Pippa

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!