Sunday, July 1, 2012

in the middle

of two weeks of holidays.

Well not really holidays.  Last week I did five puppet shows in the council libraries.  I forgot to bring my camera (!) but took this terrible one with the ipad.

Photo


What I learned about doing shows in the libraries:
- make sure you put a masking line of DANGER to separate the stage area from the area where the kids are. Emphasize the DANGER of crossing this line.  One kid kept throwing his shoes onto the stage.  No I don't know why either.
- arrive really early.  It looks efficient, and then you can catch up on your reading in the library.
- giggle a lot with your performing partner.  This provides lots of energy and unexpected humour.  A high level of energy is important to keep the attention of the under five set.  And the bored parent set.
- reduce the number of props you decide to have in your show.  We had a lot of props.  And when faced with a three storey stair climb with a puppet box you can regret the amount of props there are.
- be thankful for all the people who come - from the small select group to the large crowd (we had about 150 at Chermside libary!).  It amazed me that families would turn up and take a risk on a performance they knew nothing about - thanks families!

I really enjoyed it - and went through moments of 'I would love to do this more' to 'why does that kids keep throwing shoes' to 'I'm tired, pass me a cup of tea' to 'this is really fun and energising'.

Maybe my career as a puppeteer is just beginning.

Also this week Annika went on a SMADD (song music art drama dance) camp.  She has returned tired and dramatic.  Re-entry into normal family world after camp world is always tricky.


She chose the drama elective on camp.  Unsurprisingly.

We stopped off on the way home at this aptly named cafe.


This coming week we have church kids holiday program.  I think I am ready.  I think.  Much more puppetting ahead.

I am very happy she is home.  I missed her terribly.


My dramatic girl.  I don't know where she gets it from.

:)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from you...just so I know there is someone out there!